Btw before i start, the weather thing is for Tri-State area folk. Today, I’ve decided to do something special. There is almost nothing better than stumbling on a cover of a song and enjoying it just as much. Great songs are all you want to listen to, and when covers come around, you get to hear the some in a different light. When a cover is great, then it really broadens your emotional spectrum of what you think about the song as a whole.. + it’s pretty cool to hear something different that’s enjoyable. SO here are my top 5 covers in recent years (These covers exclude songs that are covers that have experienced the same or more fame than the originals/under the radar).
Honorable Mention: Aloe not only covers but he mashes! Mixing 99 Problems and Can’t tell me nothing with his smooth voice is awesome, just good enough to put him at number 6.
5. First off, fantastic song to start with, Pixies revolutionized a genre. Very easy cover, very mellow, very enjoyable.
4. This one only falls at (4) because it’s a remix of a cover, but it’s SO damn good! How do you make a Brittany song more than a Brittany song? Here’s your answer. Yael has the perfect tone for this easy dub mix, enjoy.
3. Roses is one of my all time favorite raps, and The Maine do a fantastic job at taking into a totally different genre, but still have that flare. Really great acoustic cover, enjoy this one.
2. Oh were gettin down to it. OK even though this is number two, it is by far the most original cover arrangement I’ve ever heard, period. This funk infused cover is sure to make it onto your cover list as well if not your favorite one (I would compare it to the insanely great original but they’re too different). Everyone, Ben (L’Oncle Soul).
1. Oh Ray. Ray LaMontagne’s voice is so awesome. Just great fluidity and rasp at the same time, the song just hits notes that make you happy. Also would like to thank Cee-Lo for making such a great original. Ray has to take the cake for the soul reason that i might like his more (but don’t tell anyone).